Interview with Chun Wai Chan of NYBC

Take a peek at this CBS Mornings news piece, featuring Chun Wai Chan -- the first dancer of Chinese descent to be promoted to Principal Dancer in the New York City Ballet.  (Thank you Kim, from our class, who pointed me to the link!)

I love to hear about dancers' backgrounds -- how they got started, how ballet drew them in.  Chun started dancing at age six, following his sister's footsteps.  When asked, "Is this a lifelong goal?" he replies, "I never thought about it because it's too big to think about."  But at age twelve, he wrote his parents a letter telling them, "This is what I want to do."  They agreed and he was off to a ballet career.

I love that, for the interview, he invites the CBS correspondent (a former dancer herself) to rehearse some steps with him, which she does amazingly well.


There just seems to be something about the art of ballet that draws us to it.  I've never been able to put my finger on why exactly it appeals to me so much.  It's just something that feeds my soul.  I hope the same is true for you!