Reflections on My Ballet Life

I've spent the past couple weeks reading "The Turning Pointe" by Chloe Angyal, subtitled "How a New Generation of Dancers is Saving Ballet from Itself."  The publisher's website describes this book as "a reckoning with one of our most beloved art forms, whose past and present are shaped by gender, racial, and class inequities—and a look inside the fight for its future."  It is a well-written book, but it made me a little sad for the culture behind the art form that I've loved all my life.


By contrast, the book had me reflecting on how fortunate I have been, because my life experiences with ballet have always been positive, fulfilling and healthy.  For this, I credit my mentor and Ballet-Based-Fitness-predecessor, Alyce Taylor-Maurer, who dedicated over 30 years to making ballet accessible, fun, positive and healthy for our little tribe of adult dancers in the Diablo Valley area.

I know I would never have had the constitution or mental fortitude to endure the challenges of a professional ballet career, but through Alyce's amazing class I was able to participate in the art form I love, for many years, and with much joy.

I believe the reason this class is so amazing, is because of Alyce's wonderful example, emphasizing that health and wellness are of paramount importance, and that anyone of any ability deserves to enjoy ballet.

I feel honored to continue her tradition of offering this class.  Thank you, Alyce!  Your legacy is alive!