Dance in America, with Barishnikov
I just rediscovered this wonderful 1985 PBS Great Performances special called "Dance in America," featuring Mikhail Barishnikov, which is now available on The Digital Dance Media Library YouTube Channel. I remember watching and recording it to play over and over, on my VHS video cassette recorder, back in the day. I was in awe of Barishnikov's technique and artistry, and Twyla Tharp's avant-garde choreography opened my eyes to the possibility of ballet not always being traditional and "stuffy."
The "Dance in America" series brought together two amazing 20th-century dancers -- classical ballet superstar Mikhail Baryshnikov and modern choreographer Twyla Tharp. The special captured a unique creative synergy, blending Baryshnikov’s flawless classical technique with Tharp’s signature sharp, witty movement style. Backed by members of the American Ballet Theatre, the broadcast featured three signature pieces:
"The Little Ballet" is a charming, lighter piece that put a contemporary spin on 19th-century ballet traditions.
"Sinatra Suite" is a sultry duet danced to the music of Frank Sinatra, exploring the emotional highs and lows of a romantic relationship.
"Push Comes to Shove" is a witty ballet blending classical technique with ragtime music, jazz, and vaudeville style. This innovative piece shattered traditional boundaries, and introduced a cool, off-center aesthetic that redefined the possibilities of modern classical dance.
I hope you enjoy watching as much as I did when the series first came out, and as much as I do now, after rediscovering it.